The Whole Pregnancy Handbook
What is The Whole Pregnancy Handbook?
As suggested by the subtitle, An Obstetrician's Guide to Integrating Conventional and Alternative Medicine Before, During and After Pregnancy, the book is a resource designed for health-care professionals, pregnant women and their supportive partners.
Publishers Weekly (3/14/05) wrote: "This thoughtful book lays out the numerous options available to pregnant women, and is essential reading for those who want to thoroughly savor one of the most 'fulfilling and transforming' phases of life as a parent."
The Journal of Midwifery and Womens' Health review in PDF Format.
I wrote this book because I simply could not take care of all the people who wanted and desperately needed information on holism and obstetrics. The WPH is fully-illustrated and easy to understand. It discusses the complete range of issues of interest to pregnant women. My goal was to empower women with the information they need to make their own decisions and take charge of their prenatal care in a way that allows them to have a well informed dialogue with their care-giver.
I discuss in great detail:
- Complementary treatments and techniques to improve your preconception health and fertility, such as nutritional medicine, mind-body medicine, acupuncture and herbal medicine;
- Comprehensive and compassionate information about genetic and prenatal testing;
- Techniques such as massage, acupressure, herbal medicine, and mind-body exercises to help you relax and feel more comfortable;
- A fully illustrated chapter on prenatal yoga with pose variations for all three trimesters;
- How your pregnancy unfolds month by month and how you can connect with your baby;
- The best practices of doulas and midwives;
- The pros and cons of giving birth in a hospital, birthing center, or at home;
- Effective pain management for your labor—from epidurals to hypnotherapy;
- Everything you need to know about inductions, assisted deliveries, and C-sections;
- What happens postpartum—physically and emotionally; and
- Candid recollections and insights from other moms and patient stories from Dr. Evans's practice at The Center for Women's Health.